Thursday 1 April 2010

I am not a bigot and I am not homophobic! I am a forgiven sinner.

In the past 48-hours a lot of [mostly unprintable] vitriol has been sent in my/our direction.  The two words most commonly used have been homophobe and bigot.  I vociferously deny being either. It has become all too apparent that the word 'liberal' (in respecting other's opinions) has become a one-word oxymoron!

From Wikipedia:

A phobia (from the Greek: φόβος, phóbos, meaning "fear" or "morbid fear") is an intense and persistent fear of certain situations, activities, things, animals, or people. The main symptom of this disorder is the excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared stimulus. When the fear is beyond one's control, and if the fear is interfering with daily life, then a diagnosis under one of the anxiety disorders can be made.


I/we do not have a fear of homosexual individuals.  That we do not condone their lifestyle does not make one homophobic.

The word Homophobia first appeared in print in 1969 has become a word exploited by those with who have an explicit pro-gay agenda to attack anyone who is in disagreement with them [rather than using it in the true meaning of the word].  Their typical use of the word is, in fact, bigotry.

Again, from Wikipedia:

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices. The correct use of the term requires the elements of obstinacy, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing devotion. The origin of the word bigot and bigoterie in English dates back to at least 1598, via Middle French, and started with the sense of "religious hypocrite". Forms of bigotry may have a related ideology or world views.

I/we are neither obstinate nor intolerant.  Simple belief, expression of opinion or disagreement with others does not constitute bigotry.  That I believe the Bible is the Word of God, that Jesus is the Son of God and that all men and women sin (self included) does not make me a bigot.

Finally, from the great resources of Wikipedia:

In religion, sin is the concept of acts that violate a moral rule. The term sin may also refer to the state of having committed such a violation. Commonly, the moral code of conduct is decreed by a divine entity, i.e. Divine law.

The word ‘sin’ is an olde English archery term meaning to fall short of the target.  In the Bible this means to fall short of God’s perfect standard.  As such, throughout all history ‘all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.’  And that, thankfully, is just where Jesus comes into the picture... and why I constantly live in the wonder of grace.

8 comments:

  1. The freedom we have in Canada means that we are, or should be, free to hear what we don't like. Gay activists can parade freely (and I am glad of that); but traditional views also have a right to be heard. And then each of us has a choice. That choice is at the heart of who we are and what we are but it's not a choice unless all sides are heard. Fight the good fight David!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Douglas3 April 2010 at 23:11

    I think you should be clearer about your position.

    Do you believe that homosexuals are sinners? Yes or No.

    Or, are you afraid to be clear about your position?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In answer to Andrew's question, "Do I believe that homosexuals are sinners?", one will find the answer (which I totally agree with) in Paul's letter to the Roman Church: "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God," Romans 3:23

    I believe that includes you AND me AND everyone else. It is not my understanding that God makes any distinctions when it comes to sin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your interview in the Toronto Star the other day. In it the star quoted you as saying "I don't think the Bible even teaches that homosexuality is a sin,". I was wondering how you square that belief with the following verses:

    1 Corinthians 6:9-10
    9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

    10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.



    Romans 1:26-35
    26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

    27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

    28And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

    29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

    30Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

    31Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

    32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.



    If you accept the Wikipedian definition of the word "sin", then the acts described in Romans would seem to fit that definition perfectly and thus be sinful.

    It seems to me that the Bible makes perfectly clear its position on homosexuality.

    (for the record, yes, I did get those two quotes from wikipedia)

    ReplyDelete
  5. re: Davids response to Andrew Douglas.....

    I think what Andrew was asking was:

    Do you believe homosexuality is a sinful practice? Yes or No.

    Of course we are all sinners, but are we sinning by practicing homosexuality in a committed monogamous (maybe even married) relationship?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous.
    1. Presuming to interpret what others have said or asked can get one into all kinds of trouble! I answered Andrew's question as he asked it.
    2. What I believe is not what is important. Ultimately you, Andrew and I will have to answer to God for our actions. So it is to God one must look for the answers. I believe you will find those answers in the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't mean to appear presumptuous with regards to Andrews question, I merely felt I was restating his (my) question more clearly.

    It's true that what you and I believe is unimportant, however I think it is very important that we understand what is important to God.

    My question still stands (when restated thusly):

    Is homosexuality a sin?

    I asked "Do you believe..." because I was asking you the question.

    Don't you think it's important to know if we are sinning in Gods eyes? Or, since we are all sinners anyway, does it even matter what our sins are?

    How can we answer to God for actions we did not know were sins?

    It seems Andrew was right to suspect you are afraid to be clear on your position.

    I'm sure if I looked, I could find several passages in the bible referring to homosexuality as sinful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A response to Anonymous:

    To answer your question(s) one must define the parameters.

    'Sin' is an often misunderstood word. It is an olde English archery term meaning 'to fall short of the target', in other words to fall short of God's perfect standard.

    'Homosexuality' is a noun and therefore right/wrong cannot be applied.

    I personally believe that the Bible teaches being homosexual is not a sin, and that being homosexual does not prevent one from living a godly life.

    The Bible does teach that homosexual acts are contrary to God's will, and so I believe that such activity 'falls short of God's perfect standard' and will be judged by God accordingly - I/we judge no one. We all sin and, as Jesus said, "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

    You ask the question: "How can we answer to God for actions we did not know were sins?"

    The Bible teaches that, whether or not we have read the Bible, our conscience itself convicts us:

    "When the Gentiles sin, they will be destroyed, even though they never had God’s written law. And the Jews, who do have God’s law, will be judged by that law when they fail to obey it. For merely listening to the law doesn’t make us right with God. It is obeying the law that makes us right in his sight. Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right. And this is the message I proclaim—that the day is coming when God, through Christ Jesus, will judge everyone’s secret life. Romans 2:12-16

    I, as have many others, accepted God's forgiveness (for sins past, present and future) offered through the sacrifice of His Son, Jesus, who bore my sins on the cross. Although I sin as much as anyone, I know my sins have been forgiven but this does not give me license to flagrantly disobey God's law. My attitude should be to seek God's will in my life and to honour Him in all I do. In this, I try hard and fail frequently!

    ReplyDelete